Sunday, November 22, 2009

Floyd Mayweather would come out on top against Pacquiao if they fight, says Ricky Hatton

FORMER ring king Ricky Hatton has tipped Floyd Mayweather to win a superfight with Manny Pacquiao if they clash in 2010.

But the Hitman, who has fought and lost against both men, claims the undefeated Pretty Boy is about as exciting to watch as paint dry.

Former world welterweight champ Ricky, 31, said: "I think Mayweather would win because he's just so good defensively and hard to hit.

"Pacquiao gets better with every fight.

I didn't fancy him against Miguel Cotto earlier this month but he smashed him to bits. I was blown away.

"If I had to put money on it I'd tip Mayweather though. He has the style and shuts up shop so you can't nail him.

"Mayweather is so good he doesn't let you get any punches off. If he makes Pacquiao miss he'll take the sting out of him.

"But I'd rather watch Pacquiao though. Mayweather will go down as one of the all time greats but I wouldn't get up at four o'clock in the morning to watch him. He bores the s*** out of me.

"He should have knocked Juan Manuel Marquez out in September but didn't, it was safety first all the time."

Hatton was in Scotland to promote his Team Hitman sports equipment at DW Sports and Fitness Club in the Glasgow Fort shopping mall.

To prepare for his future he has also opened a gym in his home town of Hyde and now looks after a stable of fighters including brother Matthew.

The Hitman has not fought since his devastating loss to Pacquiao in Las Vegas last May. He was knocked out in round two and later rushed to hospital for a precautionary brain scan.

Hatton suffered no lasting damage and is adamant his career is not over.

He said: "I've not quite decided if I'm going to fight again but working with Matthew and other boxers has given me the itch again.

"After New Year I'll sit down and have a serious think about my future."

Reports say he's lining up a fight with Juan Manual Marquez - beaten by both Mayweather and Pacquiao - for a high profile last hurrah.

Ricky said: "I'd love to fight Marquez. For the last few years I've competed with the top 10 pound-for-pound fighters.

"If I am going to come back it would have to be a fight I could really get my teeth into and Marquez is a top rated boxer. It's an obvious match-up for me."

Some fans fear for Hatton who was badly beaten by Pacquiao and whose weight balloons between bouts.

The Hitman's 45 wins with two losses record speaks for itself - so what has he still left to prove?

He said: "I've fought the biggest and the best. I don't want the last fight of my career to be on the flat of my back.

"It's not from a financial point of view or anything else. I just don't want to go out like that.

"I can't even say it's a comeback - it's only seven months since I last fought."

Ricky claims problems during his training camp - where he was prepared by controversial Floyd Mayweather Sr. - cost him dearly.

He said: "My trainerdrilled me into the ground and when fight night came I was a shell of my former self.

"I can't argue with the defeat - or the way I lost - but the camp could definitely have gone better. It's those doubts that make you want to give it another go.

"For years I was labelled as a kid who just wanted to fight in Manchester and avoided this guy and that guy.

"But in the last few years I've fought champions, moved up a weight and faced the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world. Is that avoiding people? "Even my harshest critics can't accuse me of that."

Hatton reckons the British boxing scene is on a real high and was delighted to see David Haye take the WBA heavyweight title from Nicolai Valuev.

He'll be watching when Amir Khan defends his WBA light welterweight crown against Dimitry Salita next month.

The Hitman also chalked up a career high recently - without throwing a punch. He was visited at his gym by all time hero Muhammad Ali.

He said: "It was a shame to see Ali so poorly and ill but it was an incredible moment for me.

"My gym in Hyde has only been opened a matter of months so to have Ali come to visit was a great thing not just for me but for the area.

"It was such a big deal he even knew who Ricky Hatton was.

"I spoke at Ali's dinner and even with everything I've achieved in the ring it was one of the proudest days of my life."

No comments:

Post a Comment